A digital marketing channel refers to any online medium that enables your business to communicate with its target audience and provide information about your company and its products. You can look at your digital marketing channels as tools that allow you to grow your leads, acquire new sales, and build your brand’s authority.
With the ever-evolving digital world we live in, it will be no surprise to you that digital channels are constantly changing and improving. Considering that digital marketing has surpassed traditional marketing in popularity, failure to keep on top of online marketing trends will likely leave your business out of pocket!
Choose the best digital marketing channels for you
Choosing the right digital marketing channels can be challenging especially for smaller businesses. Not all digital marketing channels are the same and a channel that might perform great for another business won’t necessarily work for yours as well.
Firstly, before you can choose the best digital marketing road for you, you must first identify your target demographic. This is because each digital marketing channel has its very own demographic and if you want to reach your target demographic, the very first step is knowing where they are.
Once you are sure that you know your audience there are plenty of options to choose from:
1.) Your Own Website
People don’t often consider their website a marketing channel but it is actually the most important one! All of your other digital marketing channels have one objective; getting more eyes on your website.
In order to maintain a steady stream of sales, you need to keep your website updated with fresh content, convincing sales copies, and an intuitive design. Meeting all of these requirements can be challenging at the best of times, especially for small businesses, if you need personalized advice you can book a free website consultation with us.
2.) Email Marketing
No matter your industry, Email Marketing is an incredibly powerful and cost-effective tool that shouldn’t be forgotten! If you optimize your email marketing properly you could see a return on investment as high as 38 dollars for every 1 dollar spent.
3.) Social Media
Social media is no longer an option for businesses, it’s a necessity. 91% of companies already use social media in their marketing efforts! Each social media platform has a predominant demographic. Choosing the right social media marketing channels where most of your target audience will drastically improve the results you get from your marketing efforts. Here are some of the most popular social media platforms and insights into their key demographics.
Facebook has 2.93 billion active users. The most popular niches on Facebook include
- Political/Governmental Bodies
- Legal Services
- Age: 25-34 year-olds make up 26.4% of Facebook users, and more than one-third are over 44.
- Gender: Higher male audience (56.6% are men)
- Location: Facebook is most popular in India(329 million users), followed by the United States(179 million) and Indonesia (129 million). Facebook has a global reach and is popular in many countries, such as the UK (35 Million).
- Income: 75% of online users that earn over 75 thousand annually are on Facebook.
Instagram has 1 Billion active monthly users. The platform is most popular in industries such as
- Consumer Electronics
- Luxurious Goods/ Jewellery
- Government Relations
- Age: More than 60% of Instagram users are aged between 18-34.
- Gender: Nearly even. (50.7% are men)
- Location: Instagram is most popular in India(230 million users), followed by the United States(159 million) and Brazil (119 million). Facebook has a global reach and is popular in many countries, such as the UK (31 Million).
- Income: 52% of Instagram users in the UK have a household income of more than 48000 GBP.
Twitter has 330 million users. The most popular niches on Twitter include
- Political Organisations
- Age: More than 35% of Twitter’s users are aged between 25-34.
- Gender: Globally, Twitter is male-dominated with 43.6% of users being Female.
- Location: Twitter is most popular in the United States(76 million users), followed by Japan(58 million) and India (23 million). Twitter has a global reach and is popular in many countries, such as the UK (18 Million).
- Income: 60% of Twitter users in the UK have a household income of more than 48000 GBP.
Youtube has 2.1 Billion active users. The most popular industries on Youtube include
- Food & Drink
- Age: Youtube reaches a wide range of age groups, but the platform is most used by people aged between 15 and 35 .
- Gender: Globally, Youtube is male-dominated, with 53.9% of users being Male.
- Location: Youtube is most popular in India (467 million users), followed by the United States(247 million) and Indonesia (139 million). Twitter has a global reach and is popular in many countries, such as the UK (57 Million).
- Income: 85% of Youtube users in the UK have a household income of more than 48000 GBP.
TikTok has 1 billion active monthly users.The most popular industries on TikTok include
- Home Interior and Accessories
- Cleaning and maintenance
- Age: More than 50% of TikTok users are between the ages of 13-24.
- Gender: Globally, TikTok is female-dominated, with 57% of users identifying as female.
- Location: TikTok is most popular in the United States (131 million users), followed by Indonesia(92 million) and Brazil (74 million). TikTok has close to 9 million active users in the UK.
- Income: Given the high volume of TikTok users under the age of eighteen and data protection laws, household income estimates aren’t as accurate as with other platforms. Statista estimates that US TikTok users with a household income of between 100,000-150,000 are more likely to use the app daily.
Pinterest has 433 million active monthly users. The most popular industries on Pinterest include
- Home Decor
- Event Planning
- Age: More than 50% of Pinterest users are between the ages of 25-44.
- Gender: Globally, Pinterest is female-dominated, with 76% of users identifying as female.
- Location: Pinterest is most popular in the United States (86 million users), followed by Brazil(27 million) and Mexico (17 million). Pinterest has close to 9 million users in the UK.
- Income: 44% of TikTok users in the UK have a household income of more than 48000 GBP.
Linkedin has 310 million active users. LinkedIn is a popular choice with businesses within the B2B industry. The most popular industries on LinkedIn are
- Information Technology & Services
- Health Care
- Financial Services
- Age: More than 50% of LinkedIn users are between the ages of 25-34.
- Gender: Globally, LinkedIn is male-dominated, with 57% of users identifying as male.
- Location: LinkedIn is most popular in the United States (111 million users), followed by India(29 million) and Brazil (19 million). LinkedIn has more than 17 million users in the UK.
- Income: 52% of LinkedIn users in the UK have a household income of more than 48000 GBP.
Choosing the best social media channels for your business doesn’t stop with you finding the social platforms with the most of your target audience. You will also want to take into consideration how quickly you can grow using that channel and how much website traffic you will generate.
Looking at the table below, you will notice that Instagram has an incredibly low CTR because of its focus on visual elements. On the other hand, Twitter has a high CTR because of its text focus. TikTok, a newer platform, has an incredibly high engagement rate, which will likely translate to a much faster growth rate than an older platform such as Facebook.
4.) Influencer Marketing
Reaching out to influencers can be an incredibly rewarding form of advertising. In a survey by Twitter, 49% of respondents said they relied on influencers for purchasing decisions. Influencer marketing is particularly powerful because the viewers or readers of your advertisement already trust the source which means they are much more likely to convert.
5.) Paid Marketing
Paying for advertisements on platforms such as Facebook or Google can be a fast and cost-effective way of getting new customers if done the right way. Google estimates that for every dollar spent you will see a return of 8 dollars.
Paying for digital advertisements is now the preferred choice for businesses with an estimated 72% of overall marketing budgets being put towards digital channels. But results with paid marketing can never be guaranteed. If you have a limited marketing budget or experience level then you might be overwhelmed with the prospect of paid marketing. If you need help or advice, feel free to reach out to us.